Services » Musculoskeletal and Sports Ultrasound
Musculoskeletal and Sports Ultrasound
Nelson Radiology has modern ultrasound systems dedicated to MSK imaging, which capture the real-time motion of muscles and tendons, providing high resolution for well-defined images.
Musculoskeletal Ultrasound is a highly accurate tool for diagnosis of soft tissue injuries. It is a technique with naturally high spatial and contrast resolution, with the ability to perform dynamic examination, all with no radiation exposure.
No preparation is generally necessary.
MSK Ultrasound is the first line test for:
- Assessment of Rotator Cuff injuries, and most other causes of shoulder pain in conjunction with plain x-rays.
- Assessment of superficial tendons elsewhere in the body:
- Achilles tendon
- Assessment for foreign bodies
- Investigation of groin pain and assessment for hernias
- Assessment of Morton's neuroma / intermetatarsal bursitis, as well as most other causes of forefoot pain, in conjunction with plain x-rays.
- Initial confirmation of a lesion in a primary setting particularly for periarticular lesions.
- Preferred modality for guiding therapeutic injections, e.g. subacromial bursal injections.
There are many other indications/applications for MSK ultrasound although these are some of the most important.
Musculoskeletal ultrasound is an operator dependent technique. High quality equipment is a prerequisite. To become proficient, sonographers and radiologists need to have undertaken post graduate training or fellowships in this specific area.
Nelson Radiology is committed to excellence in all aspects of MSK imaging.
For all aspects of MSK ultrasound, ultrasound guided procedures and MSK radiology, you can refer to Nelson Radiology with confidence.